Wednesday, December 14, 2011

D.C. discoveries

It's been a while since I've been able to devote a meaningful amount of time to the family vacations scrapbook, but I have been able to complete, in bits and pieces, the section with photos from a trip I took to Washington, D.C., with my parents in 1994 to attend the Washington Journalism Conference. I was a senior in high school at the time, and I spent about five days at the conference while my parents stayed with friends nearby.

My plan is to create similar lead-in layouts for each trip, and since I have two D.C. trips to scrap, I made the one below as a lead-in for both, similar to the Los Angeles lead-in, then I created one specifically for the '94 trip (see second photo).  



For the remaining layouts, I used a mix of D.C.-themed paper and a few stickers here and there, but for the most part I let the photos and journaling dominate the pages. I'm realizing the further I get into this massive, long-term scrapping project that I'm going to need to simplify my layouts if I want to make steady progress.

On the final layout, I felt the need to try being clever, with the "Quite imPRESSive" headline, putting emphasis on the "press," of course.


I still have two sections remaining -- a 1997 trip to D.C. for a wedding and a pair of Colorado vacations from the early 1990s with only a handful of pictures between the two of them. I don't think it will take long to finish once I have some time to dedicate to working on it. And I'm feeling more motivated and organized after spending my early November staycation stripping photos from all of my old, sticky-page photos albums and sorting them into storage boxes. It took three and a half days to empty the albums, but I feel much more prepared to tackle scrapping projects because I remember what I have in the way of photos, and I've been able to give some thought to how I might want to approach scrapping them. Reliving old times in my life has also fired me up to tell those stories through scrapbooks.


No comments:

Post a Comment