Friday, October 14, 2011

Cupcake crawl completion!

In a rush of energy (and time!) last night, I was able to finish the cupcake crawl album. I wrapped up the lemonade stand layout and the opening and closing pages, as well as the little window on the cover of the book.

I'm not thrilled with the opening page -- I didn't have a photo specially printed for that page, so I ended up using a leftover that wouldn't fit on my More Cupcakes layout. And I'm not sure I'm crazy about the overall design of it. I tried to take a risk and be different by angling the title, which I'm not sure worked. It adds character, I suppose. And it's done, which is the biggest thing.


The closing page is a pocket page that holds a couple copies of the piece I wrote for The State Journal-Register, along with clippings of a front-page promo and a stats box showing that the "guest column," as we called it, finished eighth for most-read stories on the SJ-R website the week it ran. I left some space just in case I get lucky and place in one of the contests we enter each year. I haven't entered it in anything yet, but I figure I might as well give it a try since these opportunities to write don't come up very often for me.


For the book cover window -- again, because I had no photo to use -- I wound up improvising with a dimensional cupcake sticker on a piece of cardstock trimmed to fit.


I'm more than ready to move on to the next project. I have a few more cupcake projects to work on, as well as a couple of favorite-things food pages -- my mom's strawberry shortcake and pumpkin cake. I think I need to break up my favorite things album into two books -- one for food and one for everything else! There's not a lot of "everything else" yet. I also really need to get back to focusing on my older projects, like family vacations, which would be the ideal project to start because I have a spare album that is thematically appropriate and I've already made the trip to Scrapbook Your Story to get paper and stickers. I also want to do an SJ-R book. And that's only the tip of the iceburg. It's a long to-do list!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing the crawl book!! I'm glad you found a use for the extra More photo.

    ReplyDelete