Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Smashing!

I have a new scrapbooking toy to play with. For my birthday, Sara got me a mini Smash journal. http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/kandcompany/SMASH/ I had seen them at Archivers but wasn't quite sure what they were all about, nor was I ready to stop and consider yet another potential project.

Until I unwrapped mine.



Smash books, as it turns out, are really cool, and their purpose is actually really practical. They're a catch-all for, basically, whatever you want to use them for. Ticket stubs, random photos, quotes, fortunes, etc. If you're like me and you have piles and drawerfuls and refrigerator-fuls of random little scraps you can't bear to part with but won't carry a 12x12 scrapbook page, Smash books are for you. My book has lined pages, blank pages, graph-paper pages and pages with clever photos, drawings and phrases. (Note the cupcake-themed page, third in the sequence.)





It's a fun, inspiring little album. There's no need for grouping common mementos or arranging things neatly. Just glue it down with the glue stick/pen combo that comes with the book and you're done. Part of the beauty of it is you don't have to agonize over placement or design or color schemes. Just "smash" it in there. There's also a coordinating line of stickers and other accessories to dress up the books that run about $2 each. Click this link to flip through a detailed Smash book catalog: http://wcv2.com/publication/?i=79855.

The best thing about these types of books, though, is that you don't need any particular brand of accessories to fill your book. Just use the miscellaneous tags/stickers/chipboard letters that are cluttering up your supply area. You know, the pieces from kits that just never quite fit with any of your previous scrapping projects. What a great way to finally use up some of that stuff! You don't even need a Smash brand book. You could make this out of just about any notebook or journal.

I spent about an hour after work last night digging through the house and making a pile of scraps for my Smash book. I can see myself making another after I fill this one, because I'll never stop accumulating random stuff.

For  more on building Smash books, watch this video from EKSuccess: http://www.youtube.com/v/_PFsArr4Z1s&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=1

3 comments:

  1. I have seen these at Archivers also & had no idea what they were for. I need one of these! Ellie & I could probably share it, we both have those little extra scraps in drawers. Thanks Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Tiff! I'm so glad I found out about them, too. And I love the fact that they come with the pen/glue stick, so you can take it with you and put stuff in as you get it if you want. No more losing ticket stubs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Mandy. I forgot about the cupcake page in the mini-book. It's so perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete